The Victoria College/University of Houston-Victoria Library staff will host an open house for students and employees at both institutions and the general public to show off its increasingly digital slate of services.
|The new Victoria College/University of Houston-Victoria Library’s mobile site is easy to navigate from a smart phone or tablet device.|
The open house, with the theme “Going Green: Digital Library,” will be from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sept. 15. The VC/UHV Library is on the western side of the adjoining campuses at 2602 N. Ben Jordan St.
“This year, we are highlighting the new mobile website, vcuhvlibrary.uhv.edu, which was created by Web services librarian Berika Williams,” said Amanda Breu, instruction and outreach librarian. “It formats our regular website for mobile devices, making it more convenient and faster to navigate.”
Breu said those attending will receive cards to bring to six different library stations. Once visitors have been to the six stations, they will be offered a prize. The first 100 attendees will receive a USB flash drive. Notepads, pens and other items also will be given to those who attend.
In addition to the Web services, five other stations will be featured:
- Reference – The staff here can answer all questions about research or using library resources.
- Media center – Those attending the open house can explore different media items for loan, including iPod Touches, Flip video cameras, DVDs and CDs.
- Technical services – Students, employees and community members can see how the staff orders books and media materials, and creates databases and records in the catalogues so that users can locate or link to resources.
- Circulation department – Library users can check out books and pick up printouts in this department.
- Regional History Center – The center has archival material for UHV, VC and Texas history, especially in the Crossroads region.
“We just want students, faculty, staff and community members to come and put a face to a name and get familiar with the services we have to offer,” Breu said.
The library also will offer free food, drinks and prize drawings.
“We invite everyone to learn about the services and resources we have to assist with research,” said Joe Dahlstrom, senior director of the VC/UHV Library. “The public is invited to use our facilities, and we have added many digital services that are of use to students, faculty and staff.”
For more information, contact Breu at 361-570-4169.