The University of Houston-Victoria received the highest score in the state concerning satisfaction of senior students in the 2009 National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE).
The survey, administered at over 1,000 institutions across the country, polled seniors by asking if they were given the chance to start over, would they choose the same institution.
Marking the top poll result in Texas, 96 percent of UHV survey participants answered that they would choose UHV again. At Texas A&M, 91 percent of seniors said they would choose the same institution and 90 percent answered affirmatively for Texas State University and the University of Texas-Austin. (See graphic.)
|Click image to view|
UHV Interim President Don Smith said he was glad to see the university’s efforts paying off in student satisfaction.
“We know we have quality faculty and staff at UHV and they work hard daily to provide students with effective instruction and support,” said Don Smith, UHV interim president. “I am greatly impressed and gratified that so many of our students appreciate their efforts and recognize the quality of education they receive at UHV.”
The survey also indicated that 94 percent of students thought their educational experience was “good” or “excellent.”
Other survey question results included:
- 93 percent said they increased their skills in analytical and critical thinking.
- 89 percent said the university contributed substantially to acquire better writing skills.
- 86 percent said that they have a good relationship with other students.
- 81 percent were satisfied with the quality of academic advising they received.
- 77 percent indicate that they have a good relationship with faculty.
- 76 percent indicate that UHV provides the support they need to help them succeed academically.
NSSE collects information on students’ perception of their participation in a variety of activities, the institutional environment and their personal growth since attending the institution. Universities where students did not take part in the surveys were not included in the results. Not all students responded to invitations to submit survey answers.
NSSE survey answers for UHV and other universities and colleges are online at www.collegeportraits.org/TX/UHV/student_experiences.